Domestic Violence Lawyer

Domestic violence complaints


The signs of domestic violence are not always visible, and many women don't even report that they are being abused. Today, Women are protected not just from their husband/ partner but also from anyone (male or female) in their family or their husband's family who abuses them physically, verbally, emotionally, sexually, or monetarily.

Any woman can file a domestic violence complaint and seek protection under the law, for herself and her child/children regardless of her religion or lat. If you have decided to visit the court for the issue, always keep in mind that you have a domestic relationship and have shared a household with the harasser. To have the domestic violence complaint registered   one should always connect with the best lawyer for domestic violence/family matters.

Even a single act of violence can constitute domestic violence. No one should endure domestic violence for a prolonged period to go to court or seek help; every single act of violence constitutes domestic violence. To yield a positive outcome, the ideal approach is counselling or employing the best and experienced Domestic Violence lawyers.

Procedure for Filing Domestic Violence Case

The victim of the domestic violence or any witness of the offense on her behalf can file an FIR/Complaint under any local police officer or the protection officer or service provider, or directly to the Magistrate. The jurisdiction will be the place where either the victim resides or the accused or where the act of violence has been committed.

  • After three days of the filing and receiving the complaint, the Magistrate shall begin hearing the case.
  • Date of hearing issued by the Magistrate is given to the Protection officer who further issues it to the parties.
  • The court shall dispose of the case within 60 days from the hearing.
  • After hearing court if the court finds that the accused has committed the offense one of the following orders shall be passed by the court:
    • Protection order
    • Residence orders
    • Monetary relief
    • Custody of the child
    • Compensation orders
  • The order passed by the court will remain in force until the victim files an application in the court for revocation of the same.
  • An appeal against the order can be made within thirty days from the date on which the order is passed.
  • Although the foremost step should be to find the best domestic violence attorney in the city. 


procedure for Domestic Violence

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can file a complaint before the Magistrate under this Act?

A complaint under this Act can be filed before a Magistrate by an aggrieved person or protection officer or any other person on behalf of the aggrieved person. Our empaneled lawyers have an excellent knowledge of the law and related legal aspects about Domestic Violence.

Who is a protection officer? And where is his/her office in the district Head-quarters

The State Government appoints protection Officer. In the District Headquarter, the office of Protection Officer is usually in the same building which houses the Superintendent of Police's office.

 Minors entitled to reliefs under this law? 

Yes, as the term 'child' is defined under the law, minors will also be within the ambit of the definition of 'domestic relationship'. Section 2 (b) of the PWDVA defines a child as "any person below the age of eighteen years and includes any adopted, step, or foster child".

Why Choose Us

Why choose us for domestic violence

Ask a Free Legal Question?

© Sabkuch Legal Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.